Phase 2: Putting empirical scent data to practical use. Teaching the dog to Monitor and Locate in the real world.
Sunday, August 26, 2012
Adding Scent Distractions
This morning Lily and I played the "Go Find It" game using the Periscope Wheel. I want to begin adding "live" scent challenges to the wheel.
I began with the tea bag in what has become for now the dedicated periscope. We played the game with Lily searching for the scent as I turned the wheel between trials. 100% success rate.
So then I added a favorite ball to the wheel. I put it in the periscope opposite the target scent on the wheel. And added the number of treats in the reward from one to two, which I toss on the floor to re-set. One investigative sniff at the ball during the session, so 90% success rate.
For the third session I added 3 treat kibble to the third periscope. Again, the new scent distraction took an exploratory sniff. And then another. Stopping to re-set and re-send between trials. On her third attempt Lily passed the kibble and went on to find the tea bag. 80% success, but now she's starting to understand that ONLY the tea scent gets paid to alert. It helps, too, that for each correct alert I am tossing 5 or 6 kibble on the floor to reward.
3 more sessions with these three scents on the board. 100% each time. So, time to add more challenge to the game. I put one foil wrapped caramel flavored Calcium candy in each of the last two periscopes. I think I could have even put log roll in them and not distracted Lily from the game. 100% success each trial. Turning the wheel doesn't deter. Lily is eagerly and quickly traveling around the wheel (which is placed on her pause table), even jumping over the corners of the table to get to the target scent.
As Sue would say, "Eureka!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment