"The one caution I would add is to train ALL the behaviors you intend to use in scent training with a clean, empty stick before introducing the target odor. In so doing you'll avoid any skill acquisition-related stress being associated with the odor. In fact, if you get the dog to LOVE targeting the stick in every conceivable way before you introduce odor you'll get the benefit of some solid classical conditioning." SW
We have been working on Lily's nose touch on the canister at the end of the scent stick, on and off and for quick short sessions and in between other things (like the alert behavior, moving, in Tuck and Side positions and without the scent!!!) The scent stick was introduced on Thursday. Now it is Friday night. I awakened Lily from a sound sleep for 2 minutes of scent stick work.
I am using the stick mostly at its full length, waist height and low, held out alone and also held on objects. I ask her to touch the stick on my shoes, on the floor, on the mats, on my hands and on the coffee table. There is still some confusion because occasionally she still touches the stick itself and I continue explaining that she will only be paid if she touches the canister. Tomorrow we will go back to the beginning and "explain it again"!
Without cueing duration (or the nose/chin duration cue "Place"), the practice with the scent wheel has really strengthened her Place duration.
After reading Steve's note, my new goal (not to be confused with criteria) will be to get Lily loving targeting the stick!
No comments:
Post a Comment