Introduced Lily to what shall here-to-fore be known as the Jump Bar scenting device.
After being gifted with a bag of vet fecal collection tubes from Laurie, I went again to Coronado Hardware with a small piece of Lily's larger PVC jump and a photo on my iPad. I had measured the test tubes before leaving home.
On my way I stopped and picked up a HUGE box of fresh brownies.
Then, to the hardware store and my new BFF, Mike. And before too long, I left....with all that I needed to convert the crossbar of Lily's jump into the Jump Bar scenting device.
To my great surprise, Lily needed to be introduced to this new scenting gizmo from the very beginning, much in the same way that Nad is being introduced to the scent wheel.
I soon discovered that Lily needed at least a single hole in the cap in order to detect the scent. So stopped and prepared all 6 caps.
We began introducing the scent target in hand X10.
Then placed it into tube #3 and let Lily "find it". Although visually it was the only tube with a blue cap extending from it, Lily dutifully sniffed each tube before indicating the scent target. X10.
Repeat. X10.
Repeat. X10.
Then I added a dummy to tube #6. 100% X10.
Slowly I added dummies, one at a time. There were several false positives along the way. Reset and resend. Lily became fixated with #2 dummy, so I removed it from the bar and things moved along with greater success.
Took another break, then returned with only the scented target, but was able to quickly add the remaining dummies. Even #2....which by now was no longer the same tube.
End of Day 1. Conclusion: Lily understands the game. It's the device that has to be taught each time.
NOTE: This device has opportunities for increasingly more difficult challenges. I think it will be a valuable addition.
When I looked at this video full screen,
I noticed that there were no caps on the tubes.
No comments:
Post a Comment