Monday, August 20, 2012

Wardrobe Malfunction!


The training equivalent of a wardrobe malfunction - testing out a new "gizmo" - the Scent Board.  Explaining the game to Lily with only 2 film canisters on the board.  Earl Grey in one; nothing in the other.

Despite the magnets not holding and having to shake canisters to reposition the magnets, I discovered that the canisters would not remain stationary and that sliding the canisters across the board to reposition them caused the numbers to smudge.  Just a touch of Lily's nose and the canister went flying.  All in all, a definite gizmo malfunction!  This will be a great training tool when I get the gremlins ironed out.

The good thing, though.....no holes in the canisters and Lily had an almost moderate success rate - 73%.  Fresh tea bag in the target canister.  This is the first time using a sealed container and she was easily able to Locate.

This would be an excellent scenario for backchaining the Report - Locate - Search/Monitor behavior.  And Lily sure thinks it's fun!

Part A


Part B






1 comment:

  1. Lynn, looks like your pooch is loving this!
    I have 3 thoughts when watching these vids that might help.
    1) Are you using rare earth magnets or just craft magnets? You might have to hot glue them to the outside for them to be strong enough to withstand a forceful nose punch. Either that, or you need to shape a moderated nose press.
    2) One thing that will come in handy is teaching the dog to go to a station/mat to wait for a release between each rep. That prevents the dog from bulldozing into the set-up and either missing reinforcements or getting in the way of clean trials. Once you both get the hang of it, it becomes efficent and fast.
    3) Be sure to avoid letting the dog hit the wrong can and then hitting the hot can immediately after. That would be a failed trial and should not be clicked. It will create a messy chain rather than a clean locate/report sequence. You want each trial to be discreet. One can, one touch, c/t for success or nothing for failure, and back to station.

    I should mention that the station behavior must be trained as a "please may I go again" vs "Oh, I blew it". Does that make sense?

    Once the dog understands that stationing is like asking permission for another opportunity to earn R+, you'll see her run back there quickly after getting her treat for the previous behavior. "Can I? Can I? Can I? Pleeeeeease?!"

    ReplyDelete