"When it comes to serious work I prefer to keep plenty of separation between the canisters on the wheel. I've found 6-cannister wheels under 24" in diameter problematic for all but the smallest of dogs. I used to build them out of pre-cut plywood rounds, but now I cut them from white plastic pegboard from Lowe's. The holes are pre-drilled, it's easy to clean, and it's light enough to travel well." ~ Steve
Intro to 24" Scent Wheel
This is a whole new concept for Lily, who was introduced to scent discrimination on a 12.5" scent wheel. Using the larger 24" new scent wheel. Moving (around the table in this case) to test the containers. To make it as easy as possible, I transferred the containers from the smaller scent wheel to the new wheel. Using the single glass vial containing loose tea (Day 2, room temp). Eventually I found that turning the wheel in small increments and luring her in the same direction by placement of the treat began moving her around the table.
C/T as soon as she targets the container holding the glass vial. No duration asked for.
In addition to the new concept of moving to find the scent, it is extremely hot and humid here today. I have turned off all the fans for the sessions and the longer we worked, the more uncomfortable we both became.
Sue's comment on the 10th is applicable here. "When you change anything, make everything else simpler - or at the very least don't change anything else."
Session 1
Session 2
Session 3
No comments:
Post a Comment